STJWETLA FIRE AFTERMATH
6 March 2019 Latest News
By Kgalalelo Malange
City of Johannesburg officials visited the Stjwetla informal settlement in Marlboro near Alexandra following the devastating shack fire that left dozens of people homeless yesterday.
This after an electricity pylon caved in and set alight shacks underneath.
The housing department urged affected residents to register for new shelters.
Victims of the fire say they are trying to come to terms with what happened and how to overcome it.
The speaker of the Johannesburg Council chamber Clr Vasco Da Gama says he is concerned about those who lost their identity documents and certificates, he has promised to help the victims as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, Gift of the Givers Foundations donated food and blankets to those who are affected.
City Power spokesperson Isaac Mangena urged residents to stay away from electricity pylons as they carry high voltage and can cause severe injuries or loss of life.
Original story by Given Motswiane
(Edited by Cliff Shiko)